Re: Debian development using the master account?

Philippe> On 15 Jan 1997 13:56:45 CST Guy Maor (maor@ece.utexas.edu)
Philippe> wrote:

>> Chow Chi-Ming <cmchow@se.cuhk.edu.hk> writes:
>>
>> > I want to know if we are allowed to do debian related development
>> (eg > building debian packages) on master using our developper
>> account?  If > yes, how do we get pgp sigs (pgp isn't installed on
>> master)?
>>
>> More importantly, you have to be root to build packages.

Philippe> I was thinking about this... Generally, the only place in
Philippe> debian/rules where one needs to be root is when chowning the
Philippe> files to root.  Couldn't we just do this in the tarfile,
Philippe> just before compression ?  It would eliminate the need to be
Philippe> root then...

There is still the signature problem even changes to the build
procedure can be made so that root is not required.

I think the important question is whether master has the resources and
if the owner of master (iConnect?) approves of such usage.

--
Billy C.-M. Chow <cmchow@se.cuhk.edu.hk>
Department of Systems Engineering