Re: Upcoming Debian Releases

> > This is still debatable - some bugs are more serious than others.  Many are
> > requests for enhancements: these should be exempt from the 12 months limit.
>
> I never said otherwise.  People with such bug reports can do one of
> several things:
>
> 1) Mark it as "forwarded" -- This should be done for any "bug" that is
>    beyond the responsibility of the maintainer, which almost all feature
>    requests will be.  Of those that are not, most will be small enhance-
>    ments that can easily be done within a few months.  There are a few
>    exceptions to both of these cases, but they cover the large majority.

I've stated this in another message:  I don't think that forwarding a
bug should necessarily make it not critical.  If a bug exists that is
important to Debian, but not to the upstream maintainer, then we should
fix it if it's around too long, and forward patches upstream.

I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) that the current system tends to
act as "forward and forget", which isn't always proper.  The above
suggestion is scary to me, since potentially real, critical bugs might
get forwarded instead of getting fixed.

> 2) Mark it as "done" and keep a local copy -- As it is not truely a bug,
>    it could be removed from the tracking system and kept on a local "todo"
>    list.

Many people use the bug-tracking system as their to-do list.

> 3) Tell me (politely) that it is a feature request -- I'll remove it from
>    the critical list.  Once every three months it will be added again, but
>    one simple email and I'll remove it again.  I don't think a reminder
>    every three months that there is an outstanding bug report is too much
>    of a concern.

I believe I suggested automating this process by including a
"critical-on:" field in subreports that could be set for as much as 12
months in the future, and reset for only 3 months in the future.  This
would allow maintainers to be nagged periodically about all outstanding
bugs, even ones which have been forwarded, while maintaining control of
the criticality of the bug.

> --

     Buddha Buck                      bmbuck@acsu.buffalo.edu
"Just as the strength of the Internet is chaos, so the strength of our
liberty depends upon the chaos and cacaphony of the unfettered speech
the First Amendment protects."  -- A.L.A. v. U.S. Dept. of Justice