Re: Machine reboots during 1.1 -> 1.2.1 upgrade

"Michael" == Michael Meskes <meskes@topsystem.de> writes:

Michael>  Dermot Bradley writes:

>> I tracked the problem down to the watchdog process - by disabling
>> it and reboot I was able to successfully complete the upgrades.

Michael> What happened exactly? For watchdog to reboot the system it
Michael> has to be idle for more than a minute. Normally it awakes

There's a chance that this person has his kernel compiled with the
NO_WAY_OUT watchdog option, as I do.  Once started, softdog can't be
cancelled -- even the orderly shutdown of watchdog that dpkg performs
will reboot the system.

The watchdog package should probably not automatically kill the
running process during an upgrade.

---------------------  PGP  E4 70 6E 59 80 6A F5 78  63 32 BC FB 7A 08 53 4C

   __ _   Debian/GNU          Johnie Ingram <johnie@netgod.net>      mm   mm
  / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __       System Administrator at Large         mm mm
/ /__| | | | | |_| |>  <      Those who do not understand UNIX       mm   mm
\____/_|_| |_|\__,_/_/\_\     are doomed to repeat it, poorly.       GO BLUE