Re: Machine reboots during 1.1 -> 1.2.1 upgrade

Johnie Ingram writes:
> Michael> What happened exactly? For watchdog to reboot the system it
> Michael> has to be idle for more than a minute. Normally it awakes
> There's a chance that this person has his kernel compiled with the
> NO_WAY_OUT watchdog option, as I do.  Once started, softdog can't be
> cancelled -- even the orderly shutdown of watchdog that dpkg performs
> will reboot the system.

IC. That might be the case. Is there any reason for using this kernel

> The watchdog package should probably not automatically kill the
> running process during an upgrade.

Agreed. But is it possible to upgrade the binary while the process is
running? You cannot upgrade xbase without stopping xfont and xdm.

Michael Meskes, Projekt-Manager      | meskes@topsystem.de, meskes@debian.org
topsystem Systemhaus GmbH            | Phone: (+49) 2405/4670-44
Europark A2, Adenauerstr. 20         | Fax:   (+49) 2405/4670-10
52146 Wuerselen                      | Go SF 49ers! Use Debian GNU/Linux!