Re: Problems with 1.2.1

On Sat, 11 Jan 1997, Christian Schwarz wrote:

> IMHO the main problem is the way we handle uploads to stable. We need
> something like a freeze for the 1.2.x versions, too.
>
> Perhaps such new versions could be marked as 1.2.x-beta for a week and
> then be renamed to 1.2.1.
>
> For me it is unacceptable that packages (for example the boot disks) are
> changed a few days before release and go into the next stable release for
> someone else has time to review it.
>
> So perhaps we should change the policy for package releases in the
> stable-fixed distrib: There should be at least 3 people reviewing the
> newer versions and only if they agree, they could be included in the next
> release.

As I understand it the path starts at stable-updates (rex-updates), from
here, packages move into stable-fixed.
Base/boot disks are a problem in general because of limited test machines
available to the maintainers. Many of the problems with the kernels only
show up on particular hardware configurations. For this, we depend on the
larger base of users.

Luck,

Dwarf