Re: upgrading /etc/passwd (was Re: List of ... problems for 1.2)

maor@ece.utexas.edu (Guy Maor)  wrote on 07.01.97 in <[🔎] 87bub1dn9w.fsf@slip-107-1.ots.utexas.edu>:

> ... better to just alert sysadmin of other errors and not try to
> handle them as it could certainly break things if we changed homes,
> uids, etc. ...

The shadow stuff has two executables to check the password and group files
(which actually found a bug in my group file [duplicate entry] that
prevented the installation of the shadow stuff by sending some program
into an endless loop - I forgot about that one]). It would probably be a
good idea to use these before attempting to modify the files.

They're /usr/sbin/{pw,grp}ck.

MfG Kai