Re: Upcoming Debian Releases

dwarf@polaris.net (Dale Scheetz)  wrote on 08.01.97 in <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.95.970108133949.1926B-100000@dwarf.polaris.net>:

> Yes, there are reasons for bugs to go unanswered "forever"!

Which?

> All of the attempts to "tighten" up
> the bug system "appear" as pinative and bureaucratic without speaking to
> the nature of what "critical" means.

Certainly doesn't look that way to me.

> > Enhancements are seldom the responsibility of the maintainer and should
> > be "forwarded".  If they are the responsibility, they should either be
> > done within 3 months or discarded.
> >
> We seem to disagree here as well. Don't forget this is an organization of
> volunteers and those voluteers need to be encouraged not threatened. If we
> throw away all requests for enhancements after just 3 months we will never
> get a better interface for dselect, just to mention something that IS
> critical and important.

So what's wrong with "forwarded"?

> upstream maintainer. If that bug is left in the tracking system, the
> maintainer can point to it and say the the Pine Developers "Hey guys,
> this really doesn't reflect well on you", and have some expectation of
> moving events along. In these cases (at least for Pine) "fixing it

That only works if it _is_ forwarded.

> > > Please, not based on time?
> >
> > Then what?  The phase of the moon?  A bug can be so marked if somebody
> > reports it as serious.  This is just to keep them from being forgotten
> > about.
> >
> Phase of the moon? That's just another time base, no.
>
> Determine how critical the bug is by applying some objective criterion!

Time *is* an objective criterion. And, strictly as a user, I'll definitely
say that the older a bug is, the more critical it is. Even a fairly small
bug can get extremely obnoxious if nothing is done about it.

MfG Kai