Re: Policy: dealing with bugs

[ Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list. ]

Christoph Lameter:
> By that time I have forgotten all about the bug. I prefer making the
> change in the sourcecode and then clearing the bug report. The package
> will be released after a couple of fixes and improvements have
> accumulated.

When the user who reported the bug gets the report that it has
been fixed, he wants to download the updated package ASAP. If
it takes days or weeks until the package is uploaded and available
(two different things), the _user_ will have forgotten all about
the bug. This is bad quality, bad PR, and a bad way to do things.

Users first.

However, if you can get the upload program to do it, great.
I've been doing it by scanning the bug list manually before I
make a release. OTOH, I have only a few packages.

Also note that I'm speaking about generalities -- I know that you
don't sit on your package for weeks after you've modified them. :-)