Re: app-defaults vs. Xresources

Richard Kaszeta <kaszeta@me.umn.edu> writes:

> 1. If I change /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults, then this change will effect
> all users of Xdvi on my machine.
>
> 2. If I add this customisation to /etc/X11/Xresources, then since
> /etc/X11/Xresources (and .Xresources) only effect the copy of X
> running on the local machine, users on other machines will experience
> incorrect behavior.

The flaw in your reasoning is that an upgrade of xdvi will overwrite
/usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/XDvi.  Even if the file in app-defaults were
to be a conffile, a future version of XDvi might break with an old
app-default.  The current way of overriding defaults in a separate
file really is better.

If you have a network of machines, you'll need to change
/etc/X11/Xresources on each one.  Programs like rdist can make this
relatively easy.

Guy