app-defaults vs. Xresources

The current xbase debian.README has this paragraph in it:

Please note that this distribution expects you to leave app-defaults
files unchanged. If you want to customise X applications globally, put
your customisations in /etc/X11/Xresources.

I think this isn't quite correct, and I'll give an example why:

Lets say I want to reconfigure Xdvi to use us paper instead of a4 for
all my users (since at this site we don't even have any a4 paper to
print on). The resource for this is "XDvi*paper: us".  I have two
options to change this globabally, to put it in the app-defaults, or
to place it in /etc/X11/Xresources.  Let's look at both:

1. If I change /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults, then this change will effect
all users of Xdvi on my machine.

2. If I add this customisation to /etc/X11/Xresources, then since
/etc/X11/Xresources (and .Xresources) only effect the copy of X
running on the local machine, users on other machines will experience
incorrect behavior.

I'd argue that the first option is better, since it effects all users
of the programs, not just users on the local display.

--
Richard W Kaszeta 			Graduate Student/Sysadmin
bofh@bofh.me.umn.edu			University of MN, ME Dept