Re: upgrading /etc/passwd (was Re: List of ... problems for 1.2)

On Tue, 7 Jan 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Jan 1997, Santiago Vila Doncel wrote:
> > # dpkg -i base-passwd_1.2.0-3.deb
> > (Reading database ... 7253 files and directories currently installed.)
> > Preparing to replace base-passwd 1.2.0-3 (using base-passwd_1.2.0-3.deb) ...
> > Unpacking replacement base-passwd ...
> > Setting up base-passwd (1.2.0-3) ...
> >
> > And no questions about replacing /etc/passwd or not.
> I can only assume that you answered "y" on the first install.

In the first install base-passwd was already included in the "base" Debian
system :-). So there was no question to answer.

Yes, I know the mechanism dpkg follows to decide wether or not to replace
a config file or not (md5sum and such). In the case of /etc/passwd, it's
almost sure that root has a non-empty password, and there is a user having
uid 1000. So in theory, it would always ask *on upgrade*.

As you and Guy pointed out, we need a mechanism to upgrade /etc/passwd
more efficiently.

I remember having done this by hand when I was upgrading a system from
Debian 1.1 to Debian 1.2. We had only two "normal" users, so the only
thing we had to do (after answering Yes to dpkg) was something like:

cd /etc; tail -2 passwd.old >> passwd.

(Same for /etc/group).

and restore root password manually.

I think this is more or less the only thing the future
base-passwd.postinst would have to do.

I have still the doubt about which dpkg option (if any) would allow us to
be asked even if the package to be installed has the same version number
as the currently installed.

Version: 2.6.3i
Charset: latin1

Santiago Vila <sanvila@ctv.es>