Re: upgrading /etc/passwd (was Re: List of ... problems for 1.2)

On Tue, 7 Jan 1997, Santiago Vila Doncel wrote:

> > > However, I have a very very strange problem: When I update base-passwd
> > > package using dpkg, *nothing happens*. Has anybody else seen this
> > > behavioour?
> >
> > Can you expand on "nothing"?
> > If you built the system fresh from the base disks, this package is up to
> > date and dpkg will probably tell you so. Did you get any response from
> > dpkg?
>
> No:
>
> # dpkg -i base-passwd_1.2.0-3.deb
> (Reading database ... 7253 files and directories currently installed.)
> Preparing to replace base-passwd 1.2.0-3 (using base-passwd_1.2.0-3.deb) ...
> Unpacking replacement base-passwd ...
> Setting up base-passwd (1.2.0-3) ...
>
> And no questions about replacing /etc/passwd or not.

I can only assume that you answered "y" on the first install. Dpkg has a
set of criterion it uses to decide whether to make the attempt at all. If
the conffile is identical to the one that would be installed there is no
attempt made, and no question asked.
I have always found this method somewhat disconcerting. There seems to be
some energy to provide such files the capability of merging with the new
file, so that, for instance, you don't have to edit the files yourself.
Currently when you say no to overwriting the current file, dpkg puts the
new file in xxx.dpkg-dist (I think this is the one) or some such. When you
say yes it puts the old one in xxx.dpkg-old. For passwords and groups
these files need to be merged by hand to get new groups or uid
reorganizations properly incorperated. The ability to merge the old and
the new during installation would resolve these issues.

Luck,

Dwarf