fully replacing files in other package?

I'm inclined to think this is a bug in dpkg, but..

In the libg++27-dev package, I want to include the unstripped .so
libs, as gdb needs them. But this increases the installed filesize
by about 1.5M, so those should not be in the (small) shared lib
package libg++27.

So, I include both in the libg++27-dev package and in the libg++27
package the files /usr/lib/lib{stdc,g}++.so.27.2.1 (eighter stripped
or unstripped).

and in the control file of libg++27-dev I've got:
  replaces: libg++27

The problem is that installing libg++27 still overwrites the
.so files from the -dev package:

dpkg -i libg++27_2.7.2.1-5_i386.deb
dpkg -i libg++27-dev_2.7.2.1-5_i386.deb

#now, the unstripped shared libs are installed, but

dpkg -i libg++27_2.7.2.1-5_i386.deb

#now the stripped shared libs are installed.

I'm not sure this is due to a misunderstanding on my part, but,
if it is, could anybody tell me how I can possibly tell dpkg
that it should not overwrite the libs from the -dev package
if upgrading the shared lib package?

The packages are actually just uploaded (they have one other
bugfix, and even if you install libg++27 after libg++27-dev, they
are no worse than revision -4).

Thanks,

--
joost witteveen