Re: dpkg-buildpackage problem: diff fails if images changes.

On Sat, 2 Nov 1996, Fabrizio Polacco wrote:

fpolacco >> You have a Debian Release number which should be incremented not the
fpolacco >> upstream version number.
fpolacco >
fpolacco >I made my changes only in the debianized tree, but, because the files
fpolacco >involved were images and not text, 'diff' complained for that and
fpolacco >dpkg-buildpackage stopped. So I thought that I have to move these
fpolacco >changes up to the upstream source (ough!) or I have to change the format
fpolacco >of the images in the upstream sources to text contents uuencoding them.
fpolacco >
fpolacco >In both cases I have modified the upstream source contents directly
fpolacco >inside the .orig tree!
fpolacco >What else can I do? Or have I missed a way to handle non-text diffs?

There is nothing you can do. Sorry my advice was wrong. diffs do not
handle binaries. You need to have some batch procedure written that will
do the changes. (Or call something like uudecode in
debian/rules ...)

Another approach would be to make it a native package. In that case no
diffs are generated. But that is a maintenance and a policy problem then.

PGP Public Key  =  FB 9B 31 21 04 1E 3A 33  C7 62 2F C0 CD 81 CA B5