Re: debmake & dpkg

On Mon, 30 Dec 1996, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> Sorry about that comment. But you said that debmake does not support
> multi-binary packages, libraries etc etc. What is the polite thing to
> say in such a situation?

Normaly: Sorry, but you are not correct.

This isn't about being polite. For me it is about the extreme difficulty
some of us have trying to discuss technical issues with you, when your
reaction is to leap into a ninja crouch and begin throwing things. (Sorry
for the tawdry metaphor) Your retaliatory approach seems from this side to
mostly miss the point of my comments.
Personaly I could care less what your tone is, as long as you can confine
you arguments to the technical points being discussed. In stead you seem
inclined to defend your creations, even when that isn't necessary.

To your second point: I am not surprised that you have resolved the
several problems I saw reported on the lists recently, but what I actually
said was that those features were currently still "in development". Your
response was to take that as a statement that they "didn't work", which
speaks to my above comments. I have heard comments that debmake is the
greatest thing since sliced bread, but I have also seen comments from
folks having problems with some of it's "features". This leads me to
believe that this is probably not a mature product and we should proceed
with caution. If anyone can make it work it will be you. I am just not
convinced that it can work without continual tweaking, but more to the
point, for me, it obfuscates the packaging process to an unnecessary
degree. I prefer a more hands on approach to building a package. That's
just my personal preference.

Later,

Dwarf