Re: Goals for 1.3?

On Sat, 21 Dec 1996, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> By default, the callin devices (ttyS) are owned by root.tty. This means the
> dialout group cannot access ttyS*.

As the access permission are "666" this should also considered as
a security bug.

> Another thing with UUCP is that uucico now has to be setgid dialout,
> which also is a problem.

Hm. I'm no UUCP expert but "uucico" should be called by "cron" under the
user-id "uucp". So just put the user "uucp" into the dialout-group.
My (=Debians) /etc/uucp/crontab reads:

        #  Kick off uucico once per hour.

        #  (Uncomment the line below and edit as needed, replacing
        #  <system> with the name of the site which you want to poll.
        #  Submit it to cron with the command
        #  ``crontab -u uucp /etc/uucp/crontab''.)

-Winfried