Re: Proposing the doc-filesystem (was: Documentation formats)

On Sat, 21 Dec 1996, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

> While I'm not opposed to experimentation with userfs (it sounds
> like a nice idea), I do think it sounds like a complicated
> solution that involves quite a bit of work.

>From the file userfs/clients/intfs/README

        $ ls -l
        lrwxrwxrwx  1 jeremy users  16 May 13 19:58 file.gz -> /usr/tmp/file.gz
        lrwxrwxrwx  1 jeremy users  14 May 13 19:58 file -> #!zcat file.gz

        $ cat file
        This is a compressed file

Not very elegant (the link defines what program to call) but usable. It
can't be that much work to hack up the existing features of "userfs" to
execute a program based on the file-extension. I'm willing to try this but
I really don't have that much time left for debian-development.

> Well, at least it will be, unless the policies are changed.

Thanks for the hint I should advertise the idea even more ... :-)

-Winfried