Re: Goals for 1.3?

According to Peter Tobias:
> and ...
>
> - For serial communication use ttyS* devices instead of cua* devices

I agree.

We could start a seperate thread on this. I've just re-packaged UUCP, and
checked if it was possible to use /dev/ttyS* devices instead of cua for
calling out. It's not easy, I think. Some random facts first:

By default, the callin devices (ttyS) are owned by root.tty. This means the
dialout group cannot access ttyS*.

Another thing with UUCP is that uucico now has to be setgid dialout,
which also is a problem.

And if we only use ttyS*, getty needs to be aware of the lockfiles etc.
The only getty that works ok now is mgetty - standard getty doesn't work.

Now a solution would be:

1. Only supply getties that know about the correct locking procedure
2. getty sets the tty devices to owner uucp:dialout, mode 660
3. Login sets the tty device to owner logged_in_user:tty mode 660

And MAKEDEV would create the devices owned by uucp:tty mode 660

We also need a way to set the permissions on already installed systems
Perhaps a script in /etc/init.d or /etc/rc.boot that does it on
every bootup. Could be part of "setserial".
Should I start filing bugreports on the existing packages that do not
do this so we can start getting it fixed, or are there reasons not
to follow the above steps?

Mike.
--
   Miquel van      | Cistron Internet Services   --    Alphen aan den Rijn.
   Smoorenburg,    | mailto:info@cistron.nl          http://www.cistron.nl/