Re: Kernel dependencies

Hi,

	A long time ago, before I wrote kernel-package, there was a
 discussion about dependencies on kernel image versions.  The
 consensus reached was that very, very few packages should care about
 the actual kernel version, since most packages use interfaces into
 the kernel that are stable; and that packages which actually depend
 on the gory kernel internals would be really sensitive to kernel
 versions, and can't really depend on those interfaces to keep
 constant between kernel versions.

	Any package which does not fit the above is free to use
 preinst/postinst scripts to ensure version matches (which is the only
 realistic way, anyway, since we don't [and can't] mandate that users
 use images provided by debian packages).

	If you have any scheme that'd allow multiple kernels to be
 installed simultaneously, and co-exist with user compiled kernels,
 I'll be glad to modfy make-kpkg.

	manoj
--
 "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it
 flips over, pinning you underneath.  At night, the ice weasels come."