Re: Kernel dependencies

spotter@itd.nrl.navy.mil (Shaya Potter)  wrote on 21.12.96 in <[🔎] Pine.SUN.3.91.961221221537.19606A-100000@itd>:

> I have been thinking about this, maybe we can have a program that scans
> /usr/lib/modules for version numbers (that is where all the modules get
> installed, right?)  and make the appropriate dependancys filled based on
> that.  There is probably something wrong with this, like not everyone
> uses modules or they don't have to install the modules there, but maybe
> we can work something starting from here.

The problem is that modules are already handled more or less ok. It's
utilities that sometimes have problems - like the control programs for
bridging. Like the module utilities. Or even stuff like dosemu :-)

So, we have a program that can work with a specific set of kernels. And we
have another version of the program that can do (more or less) the same,
but with a different set of kernels.

Another option would be a shell wrapper that used uname to determine which
binary to call. Hmmm.

MfG Kai