Re: .bash_profile, the empty /etc/skel, and the first user

Ok, Lars. I think you win, global files are better than local files for
most things, but maybe not always.

On Mon, 16 Dec 1996, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

> Most systems are used by users only in one locale.

I agree.

> Put these in /etc/profile.

Ok, would you agree with the following?:

Suggestion for the bash mantainer: Add this lines to /etc/profile.

# You can uncomment and modify this lines to suit your user's needs.
# This is just an example for Finland.
# export LC_CTYPE=ISO-8859-1
# export LC_ALL=fi_FI
# export LANG=fi

Another suggestion for the bash mantainer: Add this lines too:

# If you install less, you may uncomment the following lines.
# export PAGER=less
# export LESSCHARSET=latin1

> > * A line like  export PS1; PS1='\h:\w\$ '
>
> Put it in /etc/profile.

Suggestion for the bash mantainer: Please, put it! It is much better
than PS1="\\$ ", since you don't have to pwd every time. M$ would laugh
at us if they would see that \\$ is the default shell for Debian...

> > Do you want more examples?
>
> Yes, please. These were examples of things that mustn't be put in
> /etc/skel.

Ok, a few more examples:

* What about this in .bash_profile?

if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
  source ~/.bashrc;
fi

Nobody said a word about this yet. This is a standard trick, and I think
it would be nice to see it in .bash_profile when a new user is created.
(So he/she would not even have to read the Fine Manual).

* I have this in my .inputrc:

"\e[1~": beginning-of-line
"\e[3~": delete-char
"\e[4~": end-of-line

I think M$ would laugh at us also if they knew that Home, End and Delete
keys do not work in Debian, by default, "as one might think".

* Also in .inputrc:

set meta-flag on
set convert-meta off
set output-meta on

This is for 8-bit input under X. Is there any side-effect? Does it make
any harm to US Debian users? (Somebody told me that Red-Hat already does
something like this).

Regards,

Santiago Vila <sanvila@ctv.es>