Re: .bash_profile, the empty /etc/skel, and the first user

Santiago Vila Doncel:
> # If you install less, you may uncomment the following lines.
> # export PAGER=less

Ugh, I have to do it on every system I install...  Since "less" is only
slightly larger than "more" (70K vs 20K), and both need the same big
ncurses shared library - maybe just use "less" as "more"?

The old small "more" program might be still useful for the boot floppy
(very little space available) - but I don't see any other advantages
of "more" over "less"...

> * I have this in my .inputrc:
> "\e[1~": beginning-of-line
> "\e[3~": delete-char
> "\e[4~": end-of-line

It would be even better if the readline library could use the standard
terminfo capabilities: khome, kdch1, kend, ... as defaults for these
settings.  These sequences are different in xterm, for example.

Also, use something like this in /etc/profile to set the right erase
character etc. for the current terminal type, using terminfo:

test -x /usr/bin/tset && eval `tset -r -s -Q`

(tset will also ask for the terminal type if it is unknown).

> * Also in .inputrc:
> set meta-flag on
> set convert-meta off
> set output-meta on

Ideally, readline should use a global /etc/inputrc configuration file
(which users can override using their own ~/.inputrc).  I need these
settings too, but it would be much nicer to be able to do it once for
the whole system, not for every user.