Re: Release

Bruce Perens writes:
-> Thank you very much for this analysis.

Glad to be of assistance. I may have overlooked something, but I
haven't heard of any other obsolete dependencies.

-> It looks as if I'd have to repack xbase to provide XbaseR6, and xlib6 to
-> provide xlibraries and xlib. Larry, do you concur? Brian, I think this is
-> imperfect but we can live with it.

It's not an ideal solution, but it would work as a quick fix. The
Right Thing(tm) would be to correct the packages I listed. It's a
matter of semantics. I would be comfortable with that if we filed bugs
against the offending packages and made a push to fix the dependencies
ASAP. Steven has disagreed, but I don't see that it breaks anything,
just looks messy.

-> Larry, how do the Athena widget replacements break? If you currently have
-> them installed, what happens when you upgrade X?

They don't 'break', per se, they just get hidden by the more current
libXaw.so.6.1 when upgrading X. As I said, there is an updated xaw3d,
which is based on the R6.1 athena widgets, and works fine on my
system. I've built and installed the new lib based off the current
Debian package and it's working fine on my system at the moment. I
could upload it if necessary, but I don't want to step on any toes.
Joost, if you aren't working on the new xaw3d, let me know, and I can
upload the version I packaged.  Otherwise, it's a relatively trivial
compile and build.

I have no idea about xaw95, since I don't use it. Is there anyone out
there who does use xaw95 who can provide input?

-Larry