Re: general update-menus for debian

liw:
> Joey Hess:
> > You mean make the id=the package name? But what if a package needs to
> > install multiple items in the menus?
>
> No problem, you just derive the menu entry id from the package
> name.  "xcontrib/xterm", "xcontrib/xcalc", "xcontrib/foobar",
> etc. This is much simpler

Well, I'd say it's just a different way to do things. As in Debian
we often encode the packagename in a filename, I thought making each
package put it's menu entries in /etc/menu/$package would be
a "good debian way" thing to do.

But this argument:
> and also makes it much easier to
> port the menus to other systems. Wouldn't you like a similar
> thing for your Solaris box as well, even if that means your
> admin needs to maintain /etc/menu (or /usr/local/etc/menu or
> wherever) by hand, since the Solaris packages don't support this.

I don't know how solaris does things. If it really is the
case that they use "$package/id" as menuid, then, yes, I
guess I'd have to alter update-menus to follow their lead.

Could you describe in somewhat more detail how solaris does
it, and why my original /etc/menu/$packagename scheme conflicts
with that?

Thanks,

--
joost witteveen