Re: general update-menus for debian

Joey once again showed his mental superiority with:
> I think it'd be useful if the menu files could also include things like
> different window managers (and maybe fvwm modules?). So a window manager
> could build up a list of other available window managers that could be
> switched to.
>
> I suggest that this be done by adding some new values to the first field
> of the menu file, so it can be:
>
> X11 -- program needs x
> text -- text mode program
> svga -- program requires svga; must be run at the linux console
> wm -- this program is a window manager
> fvmwmodule -- this is version 1 fvwm module
> fvwm2module -- this is a version 2 fvwm module

Yes, I absolutely agree that the goal you mentioned would be good

It's just that the way it's reached seems to be somewhat complicated
(though I certainly don't see a simpler way).

Also, this made me realise that Lars was right with his $package/id
menuentryids styles.

The only way I can see how your suggestion would help is:
for wm to create a file in /usr/lib/menu/wm.fvwm2:

   fvwm2module Modules/wm fvwm2/startwm none "Wm" Kill current Session; wm

(I'm assuming that, for fvwm2 to be able to switch to wm, it would
need to execute a fvwm2 command (kill current session), and then
normally start wm).

Thus, the wm package would contain a menufile that would list
a dependancy on fvwm2 (the fvwm2/startwm id), what seems strange
at first, but I guess one will get used to it eventually.
Thinking about this more, I guess the propper entryid for
this line would be: "fvwm2,wm/start", to show that it depends both
on fvwm and wm. This might even be usefull for other packages too.

Oh well, I was going to release menu-0.3 tonight -- but now you
convinced me that the packagename really should be in the entryid,
and not in the filename, I'm not sure I'll manage.

--
joost witteveen
            joost@rulcmc.leidenuniv.nl