Re: Updates on the Passwd/Group changes proposal

Bruce:
> I think his document is OK, except that the high-numbered Debian-designated
> UIDs should be distributed with the password file rather than being "created
> on demand". This would reduce the potential for collission, etc.

I still disagree.  The reason we're allocating these id's high is
because there may be a lot of them - in the future we may well have a
few hundred.

I think it's unreasonable to put a hundred random users with
preallocated ids into everyone's password file without a good reason,
and the result if we do this will be just a flood of questions about
them.

The problem of clashing will be minimal, I think, with ids from 65000
onwards - especially if we document our policy clearly, for example by
putting it in comments in adduser.conf.

Ian.