Re: Elvis Packaging questions

andersee@et.byu.edu (Erik B. Andersen) wrote:
>Does anybody know a way to manually force dpkg to completely purge and
>remove an old package. (Please do not suggest that I use "Replaces:
>elviscmn" and "Conflicts: elviscmn".  It does not work, due to bug #4947.
>I am asking for OTHER ways to get this done manually that wont mess up the
>Debian stuff, and will not leave the old package elviscmn on the system.)

postinst would probably be the best way to do this, I'd guess.

>All these files are leftovers and should be removed.  Any ideas on how to
>remove them (without breaking the packaging system) are welcome.  Is there
>any way for a script to check if a particular package is installed?  Doing
>something like:
>
>if [ `dpkg -??? elviscmn` != "0" ] ; then   #if true, elviscmn is installed

shouldn't dpkg return 0 if a package is installed, and you do a -i (or -L,
for that matter), but return non-zero otherwise? If so, just

if [ dpkg ... ] ; then

should do what you need to do.

>	dpkg --purge elviscmn
>	rm -rf /usr/lib/elvis   # This removes the old configuration files

If they're listed as conffiles, then --purge will get rid of them in any
case.