Elvis Packaging questions

I have received a couple of bug reports, and I am about to make a new
version of elvis which fixes them.  Anyway in the last release of elvis
(2.0-6) I managed a temporary workaround for the dpkg complex dependancy
bug (#4947), but in order to get elvis to install over the old version
(2.0-4), some files from the old package elviscmn get left on the system.

Does anybody know a way to manually force dpkg to completely purge and
remove an old package. (Please do not suggest that I use "Replaces:
elviscmn" and "Conflicts: elviscmn".  It does not work, due to bug #4947.
I am asking for OTHER ways to get this done manually that wont mess up the
Debian stuff, and will not leave the old package elviscmn on the system.)
I want to fix this, because the changes needed to dpkg are not likely to
happen anytime soon, and I suspect somebody will eventually complain about
elvis leaving droppings all over their system... The following demonstrates
the problem:

root@Dillweed% dpkg -i elviscmn_2.0-4.deb
[output snipped]
root@Dillweed% dpkg -i elvisnox_2.0-4.deb
[output snipped]
root@Dillweed% dpkg -i elvis_2.0-6.deb
[output snipped]
root@Dillweed% dpkg -L elvisnox
Package `elvisnox' is not installed.

Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.
aroot@Dillweed% dpkg -L elviscmn
/.
/usr
/usr/bin
/usr/bin/ref
/usr/man
/usr/man/man1
/usr/man/man1/ref.1
/usr/man/man1/elvis.1
/usr/doc
/usr/doc/elvis
/usr/doc/copyright
/usr/doc/copyright/elvis
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/elvis
/usr/lib/elvis/ctags.man
/usr/lib/elvis/elvis.arf
/usr/lib/elvis/elvis.brf
/usr/lib/elvis/elvis.bwf
/usr/lib/elvis/elvis.html
/usr/lib/elvis/elvis.ini
/usr/lib/elvis/elvis.lat
/usr/lib/elvis/elvis.man
/usr/lib/elvis/elvis.msg
/usr/lib/elvis/elvis.pc8
/usr/lib/elvis/elvis.ps
/usr/lib/elvis/elvis.syn
/usr/lib/elvis/elvis.xbm
/usr/lib/elvis/elvis.xpm
/usr/lib/elvis/elviscut.html
/usr/lib/elvis/elvisdm.html
/usr/lib/elvis/elvisex.html
/usr/lib/elvis/elvisexp.html
/usr/lib/elvis/elvisgui.html
/usr/lib/elvis/elvisinp.html
/usr/lib/elvis/elvismsg.html
/usr/lib/elvis/elvisopt.html
/usr/lib/elvis/elvisos.html
/usr/lib/elvis/elvisqr.html
/usr/lib/elvis/elvisre.html
/usr/lib/elvis/elvisses.html
/usr/lib/elvis/elvistip.html
/usr/lib/elvis/elvistrs.msg
/usr/lib/elvis/elvisvi.html
/usr/lib/elvis/fmt.man
/usr/lib/elvis/ref.man
/usr/lib/elvis/ref.man

All these files are leftovers and should be removed.  Any ideas on how to
remove them (without breaking the packaging system) are welcome.  Is there
any way for a script to check if a particular package is installed?  Doing
something like:

if [ `dpkg -??? elviscmn` != "0" ] ; then   #if true, elviscmn is installed
	dpkg --purge elviscmn
	rm -rf /usr/lib/elvis   # This removes the old configuration files
	exit 0
fi

This would allow a pre-install script to remove the old package.
Unfortunatly, I do not know of any option for dpkg to do this...

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen        Web:    http://www.et.byu.edu/~andersee/
2485 South State St.    email:  andersee@et.byu.edu or andersee@debian.org