Re: Need help with a new package #2

On Fri, 15 Nov 1996, Richard G. Roberto wrote:

richr >I'm working on a new package for configuring a dialup connection
richr >using ppp.  It is an ash script that uses dialog as a user
richr >interface.  There is no source to compile from and there are no
richr >binary files in the package, so I'm kind of at a loss as to how
richr >to package it.  I'm reading the Progammer's manual, but its seems
richr >to be geared towards more conventional packages.  I have the
richr >makings of what I think is a mostly completed control file, but I
richr >don't know how to procede.  I also took a look at debmake, but
richr >that seems more geared towards debianizing upstream software.  I
richr >used it to generate the debian subdir and control file, but I
richr >think I need to use a binary package format to just put these
richr >files in a .deb file and get them installed to the right place
richr >with the right permissions.  Any help would be greatly
richr >appreciated.

Download the debmake source code itself to have an example how to package
scripts. You need to create a native package and set the machine type
to "all" instead of "any".

richr >By the way, there are no conf files other than the one generated
richr >at run time in $HOME.  There is currently no man page, although
richr >there is on line help via text files.  I suppose these would go
richr >in /usr/doc/<package> and get read from there by the program
richr >when needed.  The script itself should probably go in /usr/bin.
richr >It depends on ppp which installs pppd into /usr/sbin, so we need
richr >/usr anyway, and I think it should be abe to be run by any user.
richr >The file permissions would be root.root 755 for the script and
richr >root.root 666 for the docs, I think.
root.root 644 is standard.

richr >My package name is dunc (for Dial Up Networking Client) for now,
richr >unless there are any objections.  My package directory looks like
richr >this:
richr >
richr >dunc-1.2/
richr >dunc-1.2/dunc
richr >dunc-1.2/dunc.tut
richr >dunc-1.2/navigation.tut
richr >dunc-1.2/ppp_opts.tut
richr >dunc-1.2/tutorial.tut
richr >dunc-1.2/chat.tut
richr >dunc-1.2/debian/control
richr >dunc-1.2/debian/README.debian
richr >dunc-1.2/debian/changelog
richr >dunc-1.2/debian/copyright
richr >dunc-1.2/debian/rules
richr >
richr >The debian directory and its contents were created by deb-make,
richr >but I edited the control file a bit by hand.  I think all I
That is what debmake expects of you.

richr >need to do is verify the contents of the control file and
richr >rearrange the directory to look like this:
richr >
richr >dunc-1.2/
richr >dunc-1.2/usr/bin/dunc
richr >dunc-1.2/usr/doc/dunc/dunc.tut
richr >dunc-1.2/usr/doc/dunc/navigation.tut
richr >dunc-1.2/usr/doc/dunc/ppp_opts.tut
richr >dunc-1.2/usr/doc/dunc/tutorial.tut
richr >dunc-1.2/usr/doc/dunc/chat.tut
richr >dunc-1.2/usr/doc/dunc/README.debian.gz
richr >dunc-1.2/usr/doc/dunc/copyright.gz
richr >dunc-1.2/usr/doc/dunc/changelog.gz
richr >dunc-1.2/DEBIAN/control

That is wrong. The final tree is installed in debian/tmp. Download another
small source package to have some examples and see how things work.

richr >and run dpkg-deb on it.  Any clues?  I have a couple of questions
richr >about the control file, but I'm also confused about the .changes
richr >file issue.  Any help will be appreciated.

I would be glad to help you.

PGP Public Key  =  FB 9B 31 21 04 1E 3A 33  C7 62 2F C0 CD 81 CA B5