Re: dpkg-verify?

In <199611031739.MAA08197@unix3.netaxs.com> Chris Fearnley <cjf@netaxs.com> writes:

> What are the goals?

SCO systems have a "fixperms" command that has been proven to be very
useful over the years.  It's amazing the number of ways that a file
can get the wrong permissions or owner.  Especially when you have a
less than expert running the system.  I have used it a lot more times
to fix up other peoples problems than my own, but I have still used it
once and a while.  It is a lot faster than restoring from a backup and
the permissions, owner, and group is usually much shorter than the
path (especially if you use default values).

Wayne Schlitt can not assert the truth of all statements in this
article and still be consistent.