Re: A full magazine under Debian?

Christian Schwarz wrote:

> I personally would like to have the Linux Gazette included in Debian.
> Perhaps I will package it -- if no one else is working on this or has
> _much_ time left.

John Fisk has "sold" his creature to Linux Journal. It will be partly
printed on paper and partly on the web.
At least the part on the web can be debianized easily. Please don't make
him a "king's bible" or a "jargon", I mean a package that includes
everything (and you don't want to download it if you have to pay for
every byte, like me :-(  ).

If you want you can use the "journal-dev" package that I have made. It
is quite primitive, but we can let it grow.
Its major advantage is the dinamic building of the index, that allows
installation/disinstallation of each issue in every order, leaving a TOC
as a cookie even after disinstallation.

> It would be nice if we had a package (or does this already exist?)
> that installs a simple web hierarchie ...
> [...]
> Then this package should install a few scripts so that other packages
> could "register" their web docs so that they appear in the home page
> or a sub page.

I think we have to wait for an agreement on where to put the webspace in
the fs. (see thread on this list)
Anyway I think that to run a web server only to browse documents is too
much. The "file" pseudo-protocol is usefull for that purpose.
But if we need CGI ...

> Do we already have something like that or is there someone working on
> this? I might want to create some nice web pages for this. (If nobody
> has done something like that I will start the project.)

Lars Wirzenius is definitely working on this: see the dwww package.
It does not build a hierarchy for you, I think. This is something that
must be discussed. It is also a server dependent matter.

ciao,
Fabrizio
| e-mail: fpolacco@megabaud.fi    fpolacco@debian.org         |
| http://megabaud.fi/~fpolacco/   Join the UKI Linux Project! |
| fingerprint 70 1A 72 2D 2B C8 A5 63 7A C2 CC E0 2A 54 AE DA |
| finger: fpolacco@megabaud.fi    fpolacco@master.debian.org  |