Re: A full magazine under Debian?

On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Fabrizio Polacco wrote:

> Christian Schwarz wrote:
> >
> > I personally would like to have the Linux Gazette included in Debian.
> > Perhaps I will package it -- if no one else is working on this or has
> > _much_ time left.
> >

> John Fisk has "sold" his creature to Linux Journal. It will be partly
> printed on paper and partly on the web.
As I understood the license, it's still distributed under the GPL, so that
wouldn't be a problem. (There already is a .tar.gz-distrib that we could
use as a starting point.)

> If you want you can use the "journal-dev" package that I have made. It
> is quite primitive, but we can let it grow.
> Its major advantage is the dinamic building of the index, that allows
> installation/disinstallation of each issue in every order, leaving a TOC
> as a cookie even after disinstallation.
OK, I will have a look, but the problem with LG is: the tar.gz-distrib
includes all issues distributed so far (we could split this) with a
complete TOC over all issues. I will think of a solution. Perhaps we
should create "dummy issue pages" for those issues, not installed. This
would make it easy to have an overview over all issues without installing
them.

> Anyway I think that to run a web server only to browse documents is too
> much. The "file" pseudo-protocol is usefull for that purpose.
> But if we need CGI ...
The web server doesn't have to run all the time. I could be started on
demand via inetd. (It doesn't have to be a big server as Apache, we could
use the ncsa packaged, released a few days ago--if there is no web
server installed already.)

Cheers,

Chris

--          _,,     Christian Schwarz