Re: Upcoming Debian Releasesu

  Erick> The /usr/share/locale/../LC_MESSAGES subdirs will become bigger and
  Erick> bigger the more packages get localized messages.  Personally I don't
  Erick> need french, german, japanese and all that but I do like to have the
  Erick> dutch (nl) messages.  When some kind of set on/off program is
  Erick> created this might remove the unwanted languages from the system, in
  Erick> this way not consuming diskspace for files which are surely never
  Erick> used.

  Brian>  Okay.  This isn't something to hold up a distribution for, though.
  Brian> I'd just report it as a bug against ... um ... hmmm ...
  Brian>
  Brian> You could fairly easily create a package that had nothing but an
  Brian> entry in /etc/cron.daily that removed all files but a locale
  Brian> specified when the package was installed.

Is it _really_ that easy? Doesn't that mean that you remove files that are
registered with dpkg? Looks like a can of worms to me. And it reminds us that
we want dynamic registration and deletion of file with packages (see the
recent discussion on how magicfilter install the actually used filter out of
a .tar.gz, out it's not currently not possible to make dpkg know about this
file).

--
Dirk Eddelb"uttel                             http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd