Re: Upcoming Debian Releasesu

>   Brian> You could fairly easily create a package that had nothing but an
>   Brian> entry in /etc/cron.daily that removed all files but a locale
>   Brian> specified when the package was installed.
>
> Is it _really_ that easy? Doesn't that mean that you remove files that are
> registered with dpkg? Looks like a can of worms to me. And it reminds us that
> we want dynamic registration and deletion of file with packages (see the
> recent discussion on how magicfilter install the actually used filter out of
> a .tar.gz, out it's not currently not possible to make dpkg know about this
> file).

It really is that easy.  If you remove files installed by a package, dpkg
won't even know until you try to remove that package.  At that point, it
tries to delete it, finds it already gone, and proceeds on its way.  No
problem.

Things are a little more complicated when you want to _add_ a file.  Then,
when dpkg goes to remove the directory, it finds it not empty, leaves those
files and the directory that contains it alone, prints a warning message,
and continues.  No problem, but somebody will have to remove those files
by hand.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )