Re: new kernel/boot builders

In article <[🔎] 199610221455.QAA32312@kastanie.netz.klinik.uni-mainz.de> you wrote:
:
: 3) By default restrict memory usage to lower 16MB and disable large network
:    buffers.  If memory >16MB is allowed ISA busmaster devices like the
:    AHA-1542 will not work ... (or has that changed? Verifcation needed!)

The AHA-1542B works fine in my mail hub with more than 16meg.  I think this
concern is out of date, or at least, it's now a per-driver issue.

: And since we have swiched to ELF:
:
: 7) Build a.out support only a module.

I disagree.  I see no reason for the kernel to not be built to handle both
ELF and a.out.  Your idea strikes me as making more work for users who might
naively pick up an a.out executable from some other Linux system and then not
understand why it doesn't work.  I'd favor having the distributed kernels
support both ELF and a.out internally... it's cheap.

If your point is that Debian *developers* should run ELF-only kernels to help
find and eradicate a.out's in the distribution...  :-)

Bdale