Re: new kernel/boot builders

Whoever begins packaging new kernels should keep me informed.
Whenever a new kernel is released, I have to release a new set of
PCMCIA modules.  Therefore, I need to know when a new version of the
kernel is being uploaded (I can keep up if the kernel maintainer is
careful to send an announcement to debian-changes), and I need to know
how the kernel in the new package is configured.

Bruce Perens <bruce@pixar.com> writes:

> I'm assuming that you have "make-kpkg" on your system, and you've read
> the man page. That takes care of the mechanical packaging issues.

Note that the kernel-package package (including make-kpkg) is a little
behind.  It does not use the latest source packaging scheme, and the
packages that it creates do not conform to the current Debian
policies, because some of these policies have changed since the last
time it was released.

Since we shall be making new boot-floppies, can we include some kind
of PCMCIA support?  Currently, a user who, for example, wants to
install Debian from a CD with a SCSI CD-ROM drive connected to his
notebook computer via a SCSI PCMCIA card must transfer the pcmcia-cs
and pcmcia-modules packages to his system with a floppy disk and
manually install them with dpkg before he is able to run dselect to
select which packages to install.

Providing a separate (optional) floppy containing the pcmcia-cs and
pcmcia-modules-<kernel version> packages and providing an option to
load these packages in the initial installation procedure should make
life much easier for PCMCIA users.

--
Brian