Re: tcsh stays in /usr/bin

For what it's worth, I encourage local sysadmins to leave root's shell
alone, regardless of unix variant, and then "su" from their own account
with the following script.  It starts up a root shell that's a copy of
your $SHELL, with your own $HOME.  Actually, I usually use a bash
function that flushes the history (history -w) first, so root sees the
commands  I just typed a second ago.  I sometimes get NFS write errors
from bash trying to update my ~/.bash_history file when it doesn't have
permission - these can safely be ignored.

#!/bin/sh

#set -x

if [ "$1" = "" ]
then
   user=root
else
   user="$1"
fi

case "$0" in
   groot|*/groot)
      case "`domainname`" in
         YPea.oac.uci.edu)
            GSU=/ori/local/bin/gsu
            ;;
         *)
            GSU=gsu
            ;;
      esac
      exec $GSU "$user" -c 'exec sh -c "HOME='"$HOME"'; \
         PATH='"$PATH"'; \
         SHELL='"$SHELL"'; \
         export HOME PATH SHELL; exec '$SHELL'"'
      ;;
   root|*/root)
      exec su "$user" -c 'exec sh -c "HOME='"$HOME"'; \
         PATH='"$PATH"'; \
         SHELL='"$SHELL"' \
         export HOME PATH SHELL; exec '$SHELL'"'
      ;;
esac

You can safely ignore the gsu stuff - it's kinda like su, but not
really.  It's a local thing.