Re: Questions regarding the base system

Christoph Lameter <clameter@waterf.org> writes:

> This is true for a system having a console. But my units here run
> headless. They can only be administered remotely. The ones who are
> dedicated to some obscure network task are touched once every few months
> and they are on an internal firewalled network.

Even if they don't have a console, it's still safer if you have to log
in as a normal user, then become root, since intruders would have to
get the username and password right, not just the password.

In addition, I bet not everything you do on those machines needs to be
done as root.  When I'm just diagnosing a problem, I do it as as a
normal user (in the initial stages anyway), and then only become root
when I have to, either to get info I can't as the normal user, or to
fix the problem.

--
Rob