Re: Shared libraries in packages. How?

   Hi,
   I have recently made the package compface (can be found in unstabe) containg
   the shared library libcompface. Now I am trying to make a package xfaces that
   uses this library. But I can't get dpkg-shlibdeps working. This is what is
   says:

   # dpkg-shlibdeps xfaces
   dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: unknown output from ldd on `xfaces': ` libcompface.so => /usr/lib/libcompface.so'
   dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: unable to find dependency information for shared library libXpm (soname 4, path /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4.7, dependency field Depends)
   dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: unable to find dependency information for shared library libm (soname 5, path /lib/libm.so.5.0.5, dependency field Depends)

   What's wrong with my compafe package, and to which packages does the other
   libs belong, and why can't dpkg-shlibdeps find them?

Normally, the compface package should contain a shlibs file (like the
conffiles, etc.) reading something like

	libcompface 1	libcompface1

assuming libcompface1 is the name of your package.

Once the package is installed, dpkg should be able to use the shlibs file
to get the dependency right. It doesn't work with my 1.4.0 dpkg, thouh :-(
The trick is to have a debian/shlibs.local file in your xface package that
lists all dependencies dpkg-shlibs cannot find, thus containing

	libcompface 1	libcompface1

Yves.