	Bruce

From: Ulrich Drepper <drepper@myware.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>

Hi,

I'm pleased to announce the next test release of the GNU C library.
Again my errors are fixed and many enchancements were implemented.

The complete sources are available at

	ftp://alpha.gnu.ai.mit.edu/gnu

The bad news is that this release does not work for Hurd yet.  We hope
that future versions will not have this problem anymore but in the
moment there are a few problems.

The main changes:

- the building process should now run faster when a separate building
  directory is used.  Andreas Schwab changed the Makefiles so that they
  create subdirs according to the structure of the sources.  This
  avoids the huge directory which was used before.

- the add-on mechanism should now work correctly.  Using this technique
  one can add additional code which is compiled as part of glibc.  This
  can also be used to overwrite code from the original glibc sources.

  Currently two add-ons are available:
  * crypt, Michael Glad UFC package
  * LinuxThreads by Xavier Leroy
  Both packages are available together with the sources.  Simply unpack
  the sources in the glibc toplevel dir and run configure with the
   --enable-add-ons option.

  IMPORTANT!!!  Do *not* download the crypt package from the FSF server
  when you are outside the US or Canada.  I have made all files (the
  libc and the add-ons) also available on

	ftp://i44ftp.info.uni-karlsruhe.de/pub/linux/libc/glibc-pre2

- enchanced thread support for Linux.  In fact I expect that we are
  close to a thread safe libc.  The hooks for glibc are available when
  the LinuxThreads add-on is available.  Some tests already run but
  the stdio implementation still has a few problem (partly caused by
  the not yet finished thread library).

- more and better message translations available

For more details please look through the changes.

The situation for ports other than to Hurd or Linux didn't changed.
There is still nobody interested in seeing glibc-2.0 on other
platforms.

As alawys, send comments or bug reports to

	bug-glibc@prep.ai.mit.edu.

Please always include the output of a run of the libc.so object in the
mail (yes, executing the libc shared library itself produces some
output).

Thanks,

-- Uli
--------------.       drepper@cygnus.com  ,-.   Rubensstrasse 5