Re: Shared libraries and version handling

: I've been working on converting the gmp package to the new source format
: and adding shared libraries to the package at the same time. Since version
: tagging no longer takes place in debian/rules I have had to hard code the
: so version numbers into both the rules and the Makefile. I have looked
: through the new docs with no success (my index karma again probably). Is
: there a method of picking up this information from a central source in the
: package?

I think about doing somethink like an imaginary dpkg-substvars.  It
should

        * obtain the variables values from central cource
          (debian/substvars) or from within the dpkg-* library
          routines (see docs for available vars (e.g.  ${Source-Version}))

and

        * output the contents of a specified variable
          to be uses like:
                dpkg-substvars --print Source-Version

and/or

        * filter (a la sed) and substitute varibles
          to be used like:
                dpkg-substvars <debian/shlibs >debian/tmp/DEBIAN/shlibs

What do you think about?

(Or have I missed such nice tool?  (Having dpkg-1.3.14).

    Heiko
--
email : heiko@lotte.sax.de heiko@debian.org heiko@sax.de
pgp   : A1 7D F6 7B 69 73 48 35  E1 DE 21 A7 A8 9A 77 92