Re: $(ARCH)-debian-linux-gnu

I've missed something here.  Why are we setting i486 instead of i386
for *anything*? I can see an advantage to having a dpkg command that
prints "i386-debian-linux-gnu" instead of having to cobble it together
(did you notice that most of the changes between 19.31 and 19.32 were
to get rid of "lignux" and quietly change it to linux-gnu?) I just
don't see where the 486 vs. 386 change comes from.

(I'll note that of course gcc's configuration is a special case, since
486 optimizations don't slow down 386 code noticeably.  But that's a
*special* case not a general one.)