Re: $(ARCH)-debian-linux-gnu

Juergen Menden writes to me in private email:
> well, unfortunately some packages (like ldso) need i386-linux and
> wouldn't like to match i486-linux. better might be

ld.so is not a GNU package, is it ?  It probably uses our own
canonical architecture strings, which include i386 for intel, and
which is generated by dpkg --print-architecture.

I'm only putting the --print-gnu-build-architecture flag in because
the many GNU packages all need the same mapping from our to their
architecture.

>   dpkg --print-architecture --intel-arch=i486
> (with --intel-arch=i386 being the default)

This is a hack, which I will not implement.

Ian.