New source format and related issues...

Well, I think, if I can get it to work, that the new source format
will be fine.  _IF_ I can get it to work.

I've looked at the docs, I've examined hello and dpkg, and I'll be
damned if I can find any information that would allow me to actually
reproduce the files that were uploaded to master, and assuming that
dpkg was in fact build with the utilties it includes, this is
annoying.

My first problem stems from the simple fact that the new process of
building a package isn't terribly well documented in the programmers
manual---it devotes a whole sentence to saying "Look at
dpkg-source(1)".  Since I missed that sentence, I was baffled for a
while.

This was compounded by the fact that, since the 'source' target is
still listed in the .PHONY target, when you do 'debian/rules source',
you get "Nothing to do for target source", rather than "Don't know how
to make source", or even better, "Source is an obsolete target, please
use dpkg-source".

Anyways, I finally figured out that I had to invoke dpkg-source.  So I
tried dpkg-source, and here's what I get:

dpkg-source: building hello in hello_1.3.orig.tar.gz
tar: Cowardly refusing to create an empty archive
Try `tar --help' for more information.
dpkg-source: failure: tar gave error exit status 2

Since I had both appropriate hello-1.3 and hello-1.3.orig directories,
I figured maybe I was doing something wrong in invoking dpkg-source,
so I looked around a little more and found dpkg-buildpackage.  After
figuring out that it needs to be run from within the debian source
directory, I ran it, and lo and behold, it has the same problem with
dpkg-source that I do.

So, I've got the tools, but I can't get them to work, and furthermore,
most of them aren't even mentioned in the draft programmers manual
that goes to great lengths to document the files and requirements and
so forth, without ever really discussing the the tools, or how to use
them.

I'd really like to know what I'm doing wrong, so I can move ahead on
this.

Also, on the subject of our available examples: I think the
debian/rules file in the hello source package makes at least 1 poor
decisions in how certain things should be implemented---and given that
prospective maintainers are often pointed in its direction, I think we
should take care of these before immortalizing them.

For instance, Bruce seems to have originated a much more sensible
construct for seeing to the creation of the directories from which the
package is built.

Instead of just throwing 'install -d' commands in the body of the
'binary' target, a list of target directories is constructed and a
target created that will iterate over that list, creating directories
as it goes.  The binary target is then made dependent upon that
target.  This is 1000% easier when you're working with a complex
package that needs a lot of directories.

It would also be nice if we could produce some simple tools that would
help take care of some of the small administrative headaches
automatically---say, a tool that would look through the debian
directory and install all appropriate files into the DEBIAN directory,
running them through any appropriate filters.

Another useful tool would go through the temporary directory structure
and assign permissions and ownerships.  Certains parts of the tree
(*/bin, */man, you get the idea) would have defaults associated with
them (0755, for */bin, 0644, for */man, root.root owning everything,
etc).  The package maintainer would then need only supply the program
with a list of the exceptions (along with correct perms and
ownership), and the rules file then could just execute _that_ command
with su -c, since nothing else would need that access (well, the clean
command might).

Now I know that there are always situations in which this just
wouldn't work, and that's fine---there's nothing that stops a rules
file from overriding parts of this when necessary.  The important
thing is that tools like this would make the creation of 90%+ package
that much more automated, and most likely that much more free of the
little bugs that clutter up the bug system.

Mike.
--
"Don't let me make you unhappy by failing to be contrary enough...."