Re: Will 1.1 have a http proxy?

On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, Sven Rudolph wrote:

> In article <[🔎] m0uSMiW-000Mf2C@finlandia.Infodrom.North.DE> joey@finlandia.Infodrom.North.DE (Martin Schulze) writes:
>
> > I would like Debian 1.1 to have a http proxy.  We would be the only
> > Linux distribution that comes ready with a proxy.
>
> I don't use squid on Linux anymore, so I hoped Craig Sanders
> <cas@taz.net.au> will release a package. AFAIK he even uses squid on
> Debian Linux, unfortunately he seems to be quite busy.

yeah, and likely to get busier from now on :-(

Good news, though, is that i finally released squid.  version 1.0.beta16

Came up with a reasonable scheme for avoiding having to hack the source
Makefile.in files too much - I added stuff to debian.rules to call
'Configure' with appropriate arguments, created a debian squid.conf to
set the log file paths (which couldn't be set in the source without
major hacking - I wanted to keep my diffs as small as possible) and
also copied the install rule from src/Makefile and edited it to use
./debian-tmp.  Should be fairly easy to maintain now.

For the next release I'll do some stuff in postinst to ask whether
cachemgr.cgi should be installed in the cgi-bin directory.  I'll
probably just make a sym link from /var/web/cgi-bin/cachemgr.cgi to
/usr/lib/squid/cachemgr.cgi, so later upgrades of cachemgr.cgi should be
transparent.  Currently it is up to the sysadmin to read the docs and
install it in cgi-bin manually...

> I uploaded my latest diff to ftp.inf.tu-dresden.de:/pub/people/sr1

BTW, thanks for those diffs you sent me a few weeks ago - i used them to
learn how to do {pre,post} scripts and how to properly do an update-rc
(it's nearly always easier to look at a sample than it is to figure it
out from the docs).

> (squid-1.0.beta16 is said to be quite stable, so it might be a good
> candidate for packaging.)

Uploaded to master last night.

Been running it here for over a day now...seems as stable as beta7 which
I had been running for over a month.

Craig