/etc/sysconf ? /etc/<somethingelse> ?

Many packages are finding themselves in need of a directory to place
one or two small files which are read by initialisation scripts.

For example, /etc/papersize could be here (though perhaps we don't
want to move it now), as could files telling the rc.boot scripts which
keyboard map to load.  The timezone package could put its record of
which timezone has been copied to /etc here.

It's clear to me that we need this directory; it's less clear to me
what it is called.

Please discuss the matter here, and then in a week or two we'll take a
decision.  If no consensus has been reached I'll punt the decision to
Bruce for a pronouncement-by-fiat :-).  Let's not have another
filename parsing wrangle here.

Ian.