Re: /etc/sysconf ? /etc/<somethingelse> ?

ian@chiark.chu.cam.ac.uk (Ian Jackson)  wrote on 03.06.96 in <[🔎] m0uQa71-0002aFC@chiark.chu.cam.ac.uk>:

> Many packages are finding themselves in need of a directory to place
> one or two small files which are read by initialisation scripts.

One version I've seen is /etc/defaults, on SysV systems. The usual
contents are files with shell-style variable assignments, named after the
packages that use these files - /etc/defaults/tar might, for example,
specify default options for tar.

Of course, we're currently looking not for a general defaults mechanism,
but for one specific to booting; however, I believe a general mechanism
might well be the right answer here.

As to file naming, both package name and binary name are reasonable
policies, I think.

(As an aside, we _could_ move /etc/papersize there _if_ we leave a
compatibility symlink around as long as not all packages need the new
scheme.)

(Another aside: two of our customers have SysV4 systems, but I can't
currently reach either, so I can't look at the original and verify the
spelling or, for example, list the files in that directory.)

MfG Kai