Re: pre-2.0 for dummies? (fwd)

Found this on c.o.l.d.s, which was kinda nice. Sometimes one
loses track of how good Debian is.....

------- start of forwarded message -------
From: bri@ns2.calyx.com (Sol Lightman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: pre-2.0 for dummies?

: Massimo Campostrini wrote:
: > Is some kind soul willing to help us dummies to migrate to pre-2.0?
: > Telling us e.g. which are the oldest versions of libraries and
: > utilities that are supposed to work with pre-2.0.  And which upgrades
: > could break something with our beloved 1.2.13 kernel. (I am very
: > willing to experiment, but I must be sure I can fall back on 1.2.13 in
: > case of troubles.)

Switch to Debian.  They are about to put Debian 1.1 out for beta
testing, and you can run it off of 1.2.13 or 1.3.100.  I'm sure
they will have the pre-2.0 kernel in there before you've finished
switching.  They probably do already :-)

Wayne Dyer (dwdyer@eskimo.com) wrote:
: I wouldn't mess with it unless you want to wade through the pre-2.0
: upgrade as a learning experience.

Right -- doing it all by hand is for experienced users.  If you
want to test the new kernel "the easy way", build yourself
a Debian Linux system on a spare partition*.  You'll be glad you did.
Having used all three of Slackware, RedHat, and Debian, Debian has
been the easiest to maintain.  The only problem with it was that
some packages, e.g. color-ls, were not available.  But they are in
Debian 1.1 -- all the latest stuff is there, in ELF binaries, including
perl5.002, ncpfs, and something really interesting which looks
like a ?GCC that can do WIN32S binaries?  And the best thing is,
you can install and yank packages with almost carefree ease,
moreso than RedHat.

Anyway, I haven't upgraded yet because I'm too busy, but as you can
see, I've been salivating over the prospect.  Visit
ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/distributions/debian/unstable/
for more information.

* spare partition -- that is, the one where you thought it
would be worth your time to install Win95 :-)

--
Brian S. Julin
------- end of forwarded message -------