Re: Package and package file naming and versioning

branderhorst@fgg.eur.nl (Erick Branderhorst)  wrote on 30.05.96 in <[🔎] 9605300854.AA29271@mailgate.eur.nl>:

> Why not following: it provides easier dos/fat compatible filenames:
>
> dpkg.deb 1.2.3elf.i386           (the space is a space)

A space is a shell metacharacter, and should be out for that reson alone.

Besides,

> downloading via ftp will automatically name this file to dpkg.deb,
> but I only tested this example on my system so others might find
> other results.

if an ftp client gives this name to DOS without mangling, it will just get
an error code. (And if it mangles the name, all bets are off. For example,
I would probably write a mangler so the result would be DPKG_DEB.I38 ...)

Contrary to most people's expectations, DOS _does_ allow spaces in file
names (it's most programs that don't), but even with spaces, it still
allows at most one ".".

MfG Kai